One dead as Egyptian forces clash with Sinai bombing suspects (AFP-FRANCE PRESSE) CAIRO, Egypt 02/01/05 11:52 AM ET)
AFP} Agence France Presse
AFP} Agence France Presse Articles-Index-Top
CAIRO (AFP) - Egyptian security forces were involved in a fierce gun
battle with a group of Bedouin suspected of links to last year´s
deadly bombings of Sinai resorts, one of whom was killed.
A policeman was also injured Tuesday in the firefight in central
Sinai, according to an interior ministry statement, which identified
the dead man as Mohammed Abdel Rahman Badawi.
It said Badawi was a suspect in the bombing of one of two tourist
camps in Nuweiba, south of Taba on the Sinai´s east coast. He was
armed with a rifle and pistol, the ministry added.
Security forces, acting on a tip-off, had deployed in the
mountainous central Sinai region where the men were believed to have
holed up and sealed it off in preparation for a raid, security
But the suspects preempted the attack and opened fire on them before
fleeing further into the mountains.
"They opened fire on a police vehicle, resulting in an exchange of
fire," the interior ministry said.
It added that security forces were pursing the "fugitives."
Human rights groups said security forces arrested thousands of
suspects in the wake of the attacks on October 7 on the Taba Hilton
and the two camps in Nuweib that killed 34 people and wounded 105,
many of them Israeli tourists.
But authorities have announced the arrests of only a handful of
The explosion at the four-star Hilton was believed to have been
caused by a powerful car bomb detonated near the entrance to the
hotel, destroying an entire wing of the 10-storey building.
(Copyright © 2005 Agence France Presse. 02/01/05)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY