Bulgaria releases image of bomber that hit Israelis (JERUSALEM POST) By YAAKOV LAPPIN 08/02/12)
JERUSALEM POST Articles-Index-Top
The Bulgarian Ministry of Interior has released an image of the face
of the suicide bomber who murdered five Israeli tourists and a
Bulgarian bus driver last month.
The ministry said the image was generated using "modern technologies
and techniques and based on available data" collected from the face
of the bomber, which has been restored by police forensic officers.
Bulgarian authorities released the image in the hope that anyone who
identifies the man will come forward with further information to
assist in the investigation. A joint Bulgarian-Israeli investigation
is underway to ascertain the full identity of the bomber and any
The image shows a man who appears to be white, with combed-back dark
hair and full eyebrows.
Israel has singled out Hezbollah and Iran as being responsible for
the attack. Iran denied the charges, though its president Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad later hinted that his country was behind the attack.
"They have indeed succeeded in inflicting blows upon us more than
once, but have been rewarded with a far stronger response,"
Ahmadinejad said last month.
A few days later, Iran´s ambassador to the United Nations claimed
Israel was behind the attack.
Israeli political and military leaders said a response to the terror
attack would come at a time of Israel´s choosing, suggesting a
possible covert strike against those behind the atrocity.
Meanwhile on Wednesday, Bulgaria´s Ministry of Interior said in a
separate announcement that the country´s Border Police officers
arrested an Iranian citizen who was being smuggled into the country.
Border police officials pulled over a vehicle with Italian license
plates entering the country, the ministry said, adding that the
driver was an Iranian citizen who entered Bulgaria with an Italian
"The owner of the car, Italian national, was traveling with him.
While checking, the border police officers found a 21-year-old
Iranian national veiled with a blanket between the front and rear
seats. The three people were detained in a temporary detention center
in the town of Svilengrad. The car was seized. The case is under
further investigation." (© 1995-2011, The Jerusalem Post 08/02/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY