´If the Zionist regime attacks Iran, it would bring about its own demise´ (ISRAEL HAYOM) Eli Leon, News Agencies and Israel Hayom Staff 06/24/12)
Israel Hayom Articles-Index-Top
Following the breakdown of nuclear talks in Moscow, high-ranking
Iranian general tells Fars news agency that Israel will
be "destroyed" if takes military action against Iran • Russian
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov: In order to resolve issue, constant
threats of use of force must be avoided • U.S., Israel, Iran
preparing for military confrontation, Business Insider reports.
Israeli military action against Iran´s nuclear program would lead to
the collapse of the Jewish state, a high-ranking Iranian general said
on Saturday, according to the Iranian Fars news agency.
Last week´s round of nuclear talks between Iran and world powers in
Moscow failed to secure a breakthrough, heightening fears that Israel
might take unilateral military action to curb Iran´s nuclear
activities. The two sides agreed to a follow-up meeting of technical
experts on July 3, saving the process from outright failure.
"They [the Israelis] cannot do the slightest harm to the [Iranian]
revolution and the system," Brig. Gen. Mostafa Izadi, deputy chief of
staff of Iran´s armed forces, told Fars. He said Hezbollah proved
this during the Second Lebanon War, when "a small group of Hezbollah
fighters similar to Iranian Basij fighters defeated Israel."
"The Islamic Revolution enjoys high capability, and if the Zionist
regime wants to take an action against us, it will bring about its
own demise," the Iranian general said. "If they act logically, such
threats amount to a psychological war, but if they want to act
illogically, it is they who will be destroyed ... In addition to
military capabilities, we also have many other capabilities and
possibilities which are way beyond the Zionist regime´s abilities and
capabilities. For instance, the many islands that Iran has in the
Persian Gulf have provided us with capabilities to make Iran the
superior military force in the region."
Izadi´s comments are an apparent response to Vice Prime Minister
Shaul Mofaz´s calls for tougher sanctions against Tehran and his
indication that military action is still an option.
Analysts say Iranian officials use such rhetoric as a way of stoking
Western concerns about chaos in the Middle East and the disruption of
oil supplies in the event of military action.
During negotiations in Moscow, the six powers — the U.S., China,
Russia, France, Britain and Germany — demanded that Iran scale back
its nuclear work and, in particular, stop enriching uranium to levels
that could bring it close to making an atom bomb. The demands
included the shutting down of the Fordo underground uranium
enrichment facility and the shipping of any stockpiles out of the
country. In return, they offered fuel to keep Iran´s medical isotope
reactor running, assistance in nuclear safety and an end to a ban on
spare parts for Iran´s aging civilian aircraft.
Iran denies its work has any military purpose and says the powers
should offer it relief from sanctions and acknowledge its right to
enrich uranium before it meets their demands.
On Friday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said the latest
round of talks in Moscow were “quite useful,” even though there was
no breakthrough. He said talks had to continue without “any
artificial deadlines or ultimatums.”
“In order to settle the issue, it’s necessary to refrain from
constant threats of using force, abandon scenarios aimed against
Iran, and stop dismissing the talks as a failure,” Lavrov said on
Russia’s Rossiya 24 television.
He said the international talks must not be dragged out, but that it
would be wrong to “put forward any artificial deadlines and
ultimatums and say that if there is no final agreement by the end of
July or August — and there simply can’t be any in such a period —
then we will end talks and launch some kind of bellicose actions.”
Meanwhile, the Business Insider website reported on Saturday
that "U.S. defense contracts, Israel´s new submarine acquisitions and
Iranian military exercises suggest that all sides are getting ready
for the possibility of military conflict."
The report points to several recent U.S. defense contracts that
suggest it is preparing for an attack on Iran, among them, a $338
million contract that would provide the U.S. Navy with 361 Tomahawk
cruise missiles in their most recent configuration. It says that 238
of those missiles will be designated for launch from submarines, and
the remainder from U.S. Navy ships like the Ticonderoga-class Arleigh
Burke guided missile cruiser currently operating with the Bahrain-
based 5th Fleet.
The report notes that the Tomahawk cruise missiles are the same ones
that were used in the international operation to bring down former
Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi last year. In that operation, 124
missiles were launched from Navy ships and submarines against
Gadhafi´s missile defense and anti-aircraft systems around Tripoli.
"The U.S. could simply be renewing depleted reserves from that
mission, as well as others, or it could be planning ahead for a
specific attack. With work on the contract expected to be completed
in 2014, this particular batch wouldn´t be used in any immediate
action, but could replenish reserves spent in any upcoming
airstrikes," Business Insider said.
The report comes just a few weeks after Israel acquired a fourth
German-made submarine capable of launching nuclear warheads,
expanding a fleet that experts say could be used in an attack on
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY