Rocket barrage from Gaza leaves 1 injured (YNetNews.Com -Yedioth Internet) Neri Brenner Published: 06.23.12, 08:41)
YNet News - Yediot Achronot
YNet News - Yediot Achronot Articles-Index-Top
Man sustains moderate injuries when Qassam explodes in industrial
zone; at least 10 rockets hit south following IAF strike on three
A weeklong barrage of rockets on Israel´s south continued on Saturday
morning with at least 10 Qassams being fired from the Gaza Strip
towards the Sderot vicinity.
A Qassam rocket that exploded in an industrial zone in the Shaar
Hanegev Regional Council injured a man in his 50s and heavily damaged
a factory. The victim, who was hit by shrapnel, sustained moderate
wounds and was taken to the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon.
An initial probe found that the shrapnel penetrated the protected
area in which the victim, an employee at the facility, was hiding.
According to a manager at the factory, the shelter was located 30
meters away from the blast site.
"At first the worker clutched his chest because he thought he was
hurt there, but we realized that he was injured in his neck," he
said. "This is the third time we are hit by a Qassam, but this is the
worst damage so far. The blast occurred at a critical area in the
Sderot Mayor David Buskila met with police and Home Front Command
officials to assess the situation following the barrage. Residents of
Gaza vicinity communities were instructed to remain close to their
"The bombardment on Sderot is endless," one resident of the southern
city told Ynet. "We remain in the shelters."
IAF aircraft struck three Hamas bases in Gaza overnight. Palestinian
medical officials reported that 20 people were injured.
On Friday night, the Ashkelon region came under fire, scrapping
expectations of an imminent ceasefire. Three rockets
exploded after 10 pm in the Hof Ashkelon and Eshkol regional
councils. The IDF responded with a strike on a terrorist cell
launching rockets in Gaza, killing one and injuring three.
IDF officials on Friday expressed discontent over the last round of
fighting in the Gaza Strip, saying that despite calls for a ceasefire
by Hamas, the rocket barrages have yet to stop.
The army sources postulated that Hamas initiated this week´s round of
fire believing it had the upper hand, a notion reinforced by Israel´s
feeble response, which was limited compared to previous rounds.
Since Monday, some 150 rockets and dozens of mortar shells hit the
south. One Border Guard officer was moderately wounded and ten others
sustained light injuries. Hundreds of thousands of Israeli citizens
spent the week in fortified areas, and a number of fires erupted at
rocket landing sites.
According to Palestinian reports, at least 11 people were killed in
Gaza, including nine armed terrorists, a civilian and a girl.
(Copyright 2012 © Yedioth Internet 06/23/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY