Hamas announces cease-fire with Israel (CNN) Cable News Network) 06/20/12)
CNN} CABLE NEWS NETWORK
CNN} CABLE NEWS NETWORK Articles-Index-Top
(CNN) -- The Palestinian group Hamas says its military wing has
agreed to an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire with Israel following a
sharp increase in violence between the two sides.
In a statement posted early Wednesday, Hamas -- which controls the
Palestinian territory of Gaza -- says it will observe the cease-fire
as long as Israel remains committed to the agreement.
There was no immediate response to the cease-fire announcement from
Israel, which said more than 75 rockets had been fired into its
territory from Gaza in the past three days. Six Palestinians and one
Israeli died between Sunday and Tuesday in a spate of rocket attacks
and Israeli airstrikes, officials on both sides reported; Israel also
said a Palestinian child was killed when a rocket launch attempt by
Israeli warplanes struck two targets in Gaza on Tuesday in response
to the rocket fire, the Israel Defense Forces said. Hamas security
sources told CNN the strikes targeted a site used to train
Palestinian militants to launch rockets and another training facility
run by the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades, the military arm of Hamas,
with two people injured.
"We stress that our confrontation with the Zionist enemy in this
round was in its minimum in fire and counterattacks," the brigades
said in a statement announcing the deal. It said the agreement
includes "all other resistance factions" operating from Gaza, which
has been under Hamas control since 2007.
Israel says nearly 300 rockets have been fired into its territory
from Gaza since the beginning of 2012. CNN´s Yousuf Basil contributed
to this report. (© 2012 Cable News Network 06/20/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY