Construction of border fence resumes (YNetNews.Com -Yedioth Internet) Yoav Zitun Published: 06.19.12, 10:11)
YNet News - Yediot Achronot
YNet News - Yediot Achronot Articles-Index-Top
Defense Ministry decides to resume construction on southern border
halted after Monday´s terror attack
The Defense Ministry has decided to resume construction work on the
border fence in south Israel on Tuesday which had been suspended in
the wake of Monday´s terrorist attack which killed one person.
It is estimated that the construction of the fence in the "dune
sector" where the attack took place will be completed within three
The Defense Ministry said that construction has been fully resumed
following a situation assessment which was held on Monday. The
project manager, Brigadier-General Eran Ofir, informed the Ministry
that workers and heavy machinery operators have been deployed in
hundreds of sites where the fence is being erected.
Contractors reportedly raised concerns in the wake of Monday´s attack
but remain determined to complete the task as soon as possible.
Security for the project is provided both by civilian companies and
IDF forces in the field. Army posts have been added along the border
in the past few months.
The posts have also been fortified for fear of long-range anti-tank
missiles stored in Sinai and advanced models of RPG missiles owned by
terrorist groups in Gaza. These have been utilized in Monday´s border
attack as well as in the terrorist attack in Eilat last August.
According to the Defense Ministry, more than 1,000 workers, 100
contractors and dozens of team leaders are operating in 600 points
along the border. The Ministry stressed they are in constant contact
with the contractors who are being briefed on the situation
Gaza Division´s southern brigade commander Colonel Tal Hermoni
stressed on Tuesday that the forces are in close contact with their
Egyptian counterparts, who he said had tried to locate the terrorists
behind the border attack inside Sinai.
On Monday, the US condemned the border attack. State Department
spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that the US condemns the attack
against civilians in the strongest terms and noted that
Washington "remains concerned about the security situation in the
Sinai Peninsula and call for restraint on all sides."
"More broadly, we encourage the Egyptian government to find a lasting
resolution to the issue of Sinai security," she told reporters at a
regular news briefing.
While a senior Israeli official blamed the Islamic Jihad for the
attack, other sources admitted that defense officials are still
unclear as to who was behind the attack. Attila Somfalvi contributed
to this report (Copyright 2012 © Yedioth Internet 06/19/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY