Meretz to petition against state’s Ulpana request (JERUSALEM POST) By TOVAH LAZAROFF 04/29/12)
JERUSALEM POST Articles-Index-Top
The Meretz party plans to petition the High Court of Justice on
Sunday to reject the state’s request that it re-open the case against
the 30 unauthorized homes in the Ulpana outpost slated for demolition.
Last May the state promised the court that it would remove the homes
by Tuesday in response to a 2008 petition by Yesh Din on behalf of
the Palestinian land owners who claim that the structures are built
on their property. In September, the court closed the case. But on
Friday the state asked the court to reopen it and release the state
from its pledge to take down the homes.
Meretz Party head MK Zehava Gal-On said the state’s request with
regard to the Ulpana showed that, “the attorney-general and the
prosecutor’s office have failed morally and professionally.”
Yesh Din’s attorney Michael Sfard, who represented the Palestinian
property owners, said Friday that the government of Israel had
declared war on the rule of law and the court.
He added that no private citizen would be allowed to re-open a case
which had already been ruled on. The state’s request to delay the
demolition of Ulpana breaks all the rules and laws of the game, he
“In order to help settlers steal Palestinian lands, the government is
ready to crush the basic principles upon which Israeli society is
based,” Sfard stated.
But on Friday, Vice Premier Silvan Shalom showed his support for the
Ulpana and the state’s request by visiting the outpost, located on
the outskirts of the Beit El settlement. He called on the government
to authorize the homes.
Shalom told its residents that he hoped a legal solution could be
found that would allow Ulpana residents to remain in their homes, but
barring this, legislation could be passed legalizing the outpost.
“Evacuating these residents would be unacceptable,” he said.
In a statement they released to the media, Ulpana residents said they
hoped the state and the government make good on Prime Minister
Binyamin Netanyahu’s words in the past month that their homes not be
They noted that their outpost was built with financial support from
the government and that its residents had received grants and
mortgages to buy their homes. (© 1995-2011, The Jerusalem Post
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY