State to ask for three month delay in outpost evacuation (TIMES OF ISRAEL) By JOSHUA DAVIDOVICH 04/27/12)
TIMES OF ISRAEL
TIMES OF ISRAEL Articles-Index-Top
Givat Ha’Ulpana slated to be torn down in coming days by court order
The government will reportedly ask the High Court Friday to delay
until the summer the evacuation of the Givat Ha’Ulpana outpost, which
is slated to be torn down in the coming days.
Speaking to Israel Radio, Minister Benny Begin, who previously
brokered a deal between the government and settlers in the Migron
outpost, said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s cabinet had decided
to instruct the State Prosecutor to ask the High Court for a three-
month delay in evacuating 30 families from the oupost, which is on
the outskirts of the Beit El settlement.
Last year, the court ordered the outpost abandoned after it was found
to have been built on Palestinian land.
The delay request would follow closely on the heels of a government
decision this week to retroactively sanction three other outposts in
the West Bank, a move that drew harsh condemnations from world
Begin told Israel Radio that tearing down the homes now could cause
irreversible damage before the court has a chance to decide on a
petition by settlers over the legal status of the land.
Ministers Silvan Shalom and Yaakov Katz are expected to visit the
outpost Friday morning.
The decision to ask for a delay was made by Netanyahu’s inner cabinet
of top ministers four days ago. That panel included Defense Minister
Ehud Barak, who has earlier said the outpost residents should move to
a more legally stable piece of land.
Minister Moshe Yaalon has threatened that Netanyahu’s coalition could
fall if the evacuation goes through. (© 2012 THE TIMES OF ISRAEL
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY