Syrian rebels call for emergency UN meeting after video showing activist being ´buried alive´ (TELEGRAPH UK) By Ruth Sherlock, Beirut 04/27/12)
DAILY TELEGRAPH Articles-Index-Top
The Syrian opposition called for an emergency meeting of the UN
security council after fresh claims of regime brutality, including a
video which purportedly showed an opposition activist being buried
The video, said to have been filmed in the Syrian border town of
Qusayr, shows a man buried to his neck in the ground. He wails
desperate prayers as two men in military uniforms fill in the small
ditch around his head with shovels. Dry mud and rocks smash against
his face and head until he is completely covered, when the video cuts
The footage cannot be verified, especially as it seems to have been
posted by a member of the regime forces, most likely one of the
Shabiha, the informal militia often tasked with the "dirty work" on
the streets to allow deniability. It may have been intended to
frighten the opposition.
The dialogue on the video suggests the man has been caught sending
footage of the uprising to Arab satellite television channels such as
Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya. He cries out, "there is no god but Allah",
a traditional prayer of those about to die, but is told to say "there
is no god but Bashar" instead.
The call by the Syrian National Council for an emergency statement by
the UN came after another apparently major breach of the ceasefire,
when a huge explosion destroyed part of a working class civilian
district of Hama, Mash at-Tayyaron, on Wednesday.
"We are calling for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council
so that it can issue a resolution to protect civilians in Syria," the
Syrian National Council said in a statement. "Hama in recent days,
and following a visit by UN observers, witnessed a series of crimes
that left more than 100 people dead and hundreds wounded because of
The regime said "armed terrorist groups" had accidentally blown up a
house they were using for bomb-making, killing 16 people including
women and children. Opposition activists nearby said there had been
intense tank shelling of the house, before a single large rocket hit
it, killing scores of people.
Earlier this week, a series of machine gun attacks by regime forces
killed between 30 and 40 people, shortly after a visit by members of
the Annan peace deal monitoring mission. Two monitors remain in the
"It was a missile shot by Battilion 47, which is situated near that
district," said Mousab al-Hamadee, a member of Hama´s Local
Coordination Committee for the opposition. "They thought that some
defectors were hiding in that part of the city."
Mr Hamadee said that many of the victims of the blast were families
who had fled the violence in neighbouring Homs and had been living in
the district as refugees. Activists put the body count as high as 68,
including 13 children and 16 women.
Footage from immediately after the blast showed panicked crowds
scrambling over the collapsed remains of buildings, and carrying the
semi-naked bloodstained body of a young girl. Ash-covered men dug
through the piles masonry in search of people trapped below.
"Shops were closed across the whole city," said anactivist calling
himself Samer al-Husain. "We left the pharmacies open do that they
could provide help for the wounded.
"We had big demonstrations in several neighbourhoods. There was a
smaller one in the city centre. Security forces opened fire on the
demonstrators, wounding my friend who was shot in the leg."
Opposition leaders in Hama declared the two monitors stationed in the
"We called the observers yesterday night," Mr Husain said. "They came
to the edge of the neighbourhood but refused to go inside. Perhaps
they were scared, but I don´t know why because they had Syrian
security with them."
In another allegation of regime non-compliance with the ceasefire
government forces have built a concrete wall around much of the once
rebel-held Homs district of Baba Amr, stationing tanks and troops
near every exit, activists report.
"The only way in and out of the district are through exits heavily
patrolled by security forces," said one, "Abu Bakr". "Only the
elderly and children live inside Baba Amr now. The young men are
wanted by the government, and mothers have sent their daughters away.
They are afraid soldiers will rape them." (© Copyright of Telegraph
Media Group Limited 2012. 04/27/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY