Memorial Cancelled: Security Concerns or Revenge? (INN) ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS) By A7 Staff 04/11/12)
INN} ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS
INN} ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS Articles-Index-Top
Sources close to the Livnat family claimed Wednesday that Samaria
Brigade Commander Nimrod Aloni was taking personal revenge in
cancelling a memorial service at Joseph´s Tomb for terror victim Ben
The sources were sharply critical of IDF commanders in an interview
with Arutz Sheva.
"The Livnat family was supposed to go this evening to Joseph´s Tomb
to hold a memorial service for their son (Ben Yosef Livnat). Ehud
Barak, the commanding officer, and division commander authorized the
entrance of the family for the purpose of holding the memorial
service. But Samaria Brigade Commander, Colonel Nimrod Aloni, forbade
the holding of the memorial service for vengeful reasons," they said.
After last April´s murder of Ben Yosef Livnat, 25, at the hands of a
member of the Palestinian Authority police outside Joseph´s Tomb,
Israel´s defense ministry - following an investigation of the
incident - declared him a "victim of terror."
"The family fought in order that the widow and the four remaining
children will be recognized as a bereaved family," the sources
explained. "During the period of mourning, Alon came to visit the
family, and while comforting the mourners told them that the IDF
arranged a security incident investigation, and conclusions show that
Livnat was deliberately murdered and it is considered a terrorist
attack in every respect."
The sources say Aloni was incensed that his words were recorded and
given to the media, which led him to take revenge on the Livnat
"The words of Aloni were recorded and distributed to the media, and
the widow and four children were soon recognized as a bereaved
family. Aloni was upset that the recording was given to the media and
publicized. He has even expressed his anger openly about it. Now,
Aloni has avenged himself on the family for the recording by
canceling the planned memorial service," they said.
Access for Jewish worshippers at Joseph´s Tomb must be approved and
coordinated by the IDF, who provides security for all such
visitations. The IDF responded directly to the sources´ allegations
by referring to its previous explanation for the decision to
backtrack and cancel the memorial service.
"Entry dates for visiting Joseph´s Tomb are set in coordination and
cooperation with the relevant leaders in the settlement movement,"
the IDF said previously.
"Coordination of every entrance... requires augmenting local forces
and additional resources to ensure visits are made in a safe and
"The entry date for April was set in advance, in cooperation with the
relevant leaders, so this would have required a change to existing
"However, the family´s request was received and considered by senior
officers, who in accordance with a security assessment, decided not
to deviate from the original entry date and plan for April," they
said. (IsraelNationalNews © 2012 04/11/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY