New Conditions from Syria´s Assad, Won´t Withdraw Troops (INN) ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS) By Chana Ya´ar 04/08/12)
INN} ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS
INN} ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS Articles-Index-Top
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has come up with new conditions in
order to withdraw his troops from cities as promised by April 10.
The country´s foreign ministry said in a statement issued Sunday, “To
say that Syria will pull back its forces from towns on April 10 is
inaccurate, Kofi Annan having not yet presented written guarantees on
the acceptance by armed terrorist groups of a halt to all violence.”
The six-point peace plan proposed by the former United Nations
secretary-general, who has since been sent as an envoy of the U.N.
and the Arab League, was formally endorsed by the U.N. Security
Council last Thursday.
The ceasefire, due to take hold on Tuesday, calls for a withdrawal of
government forces from Syrian population centers, among other
Annan said he was told by Damascus that it had started moving troops
out of Idlib, Zabadani and Dera´a.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose border marches
along Syria´s northern province of Idlib, told the local daily
Hurriyet “We will patiently follow the process until April 10,” but
added his country would “implement steps” if the violence in Syria
did not end after that.
Some 2,800 Syrians fled to Turkey in less than 48 hours last week in
order to escape the Assad-driven slaughter. More than 24,000 Syrian
refugees are currently making camp in on the Turkish side of the
border, according to Ankara.
The U.N. has estimated that more than 9,000 Syrians have been killed
by government forces since the uprising against Assad began a little
over a year ago, ignited by the Arab Spring movement that swept the
region. (IsraelNationalNews © 2012 04/08/12)
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY