Footage filmed by French gunman sent to Al Jazeera-police (REUTERS) Reporting By Gerard Bon; Writing by Alexandria Sage; Editing by Andrew Heavens PARIS, FRANCE 03/26/12 4:05pm EDT)
Reuters News Service
Reuters News Service Articles-Index-Top
(Reuters) - Video footage filmed by the French gunman Mohamed Merah
during his bloody shooting spree has been sent to the Al Jazeera
television network in Paris, a police source said on Monday.
Al Jazeera received a computer memory drive containing a montage of
footage accompanied by Islamist war songs, and sent the package on to
police on Monday, the source close to the investigation told Reuters.
An Al Jazeera employee contacted by Reuters confirmed the report.
The package was dated Wednesday, March 21, the day that police
surrounded Merah in his apartment in the southern city of Toulouse
after a massive manhunt, according to a report in the Parisien daily
French special forces shot the young Islamist the following day after
a 30-hour siege.
"Investigators are trying to find out whether the letter was posted
Tuesday night by Mohamed Merah himself or by an accomplice Wednesday
morning," the newspaper wrote.
Merah, who said he was inspired by al Qaeda, admitted to killing
three soldiers, three Jewish children and a rabbi in a spate of
shootings that sent shockwaves through France.
The Paris prosecutor in charge of the case said last week that the
Merah had filmed each of the shootings. (© Thomson Reuters 2012.
Return to Top
MATERIAL REPRODUCED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY